Tuesday, October 14, 2008

On the Road Again

It has been about two months since last I wrote which was a nice break and gave me time to get organize and socialize. But, with true-to-the-bone travelers, the itch begins to rise. It is definitely time to fly the friendly (hopefully) skies. Just as an aside, one of my coworkers got stuck beside a rowdy drunk guy on a trip to Europe who put his stinky feet on her and then when she moved them started aiming all types of vulgar language her way. One of my colleagues ended up in a guest house in Uganda that had rats and where they rented out the room by the hour--don't worry, she found better accommodations. There are more horror stories, but I will not frighten you so. The upsides of travel can far outweigh the occasional negative encounters or incidences. Fortunately, I have been wonderfully blessed as I have gone to my various destinations with only the random surprise. Right now, I am sitting in the British Airways Lounge even though I am still a blue member and not flying in the premium class. The receptionist was so nice to let me in which is especially nice since my flight isn't until 6:55 p.m. and it is now only 3:45 p.m.

So where am I going you ask. Well, my first stop is Paris, France--I know, I know. This will be my first time in Paris. It is going to be a tease though because it will be only two days, but I am known to make the most out of whatever time I have in a place. In Italy while attending a 3-day conference in Milan, I fit in shopping, sight-seeing, train ride to Stresa, and train ride to Venice. It was exceptional. My goals in Paris are to have sumptuous meals, buy one outfit, see the Eiffel Tower, and take tons of pictures.


From "Aah, Paris!" (say with a French accent), I will be headed to increasingly familiar spot--Kenya. First on the agenda is to spend a few days in Nairobi connecting with an old friend and then on to Kisumu. I am already preparing myself to be greeted with shouts of "Obama!!" Last time I reported visiting Obama's grandmother's house and father's grave. If only Kenyans could vote.

For news in Cherise's world, I have finished my third running race participating in a 4-person relay marathon. Again, we were not the first, but we were not the last.

Place: 647 out 689
Race # 9028 Team Name: A.I.R
Members: Cherise (Time: 1:22:31), John (Time: 53:55) (in place of Shea who was sick), Charlene (1:24:50), Sylvie (Time: 1:21:50)
Team Total: 5:03:07

Another aside, you know there are people in this world (mostly Kenyans who live on thin air) that complete a marathon (26.2 miles) in a little over two hours which is like 4 1/2 minutes a mile. The current world record holder is actually a Ethiopian by the name of Haile Gebrselassie. The human body is amazing with limits that defy the imagination.

Don't forget to check back in the coming days for updates on my travels. Au revoir!

1 comment:

chad said...

I know this post is not done yet, but I was glad to be a part of the latest trip abroad! Look forward to reading more.