Saturday, March 8, 2008

Tastes of Barcelona

I must print a correction--the Irish were not really Irish but Scottish with a team named "The Celts". It was the green t-shirts that threw me off. I assumed the Irish had the monopoly on green and clovers but that has proven to be wrong. A lesson learned.

The conference was a conference where you get cool freebies that will sit in the closet for a good year and maybe a few can pass off as gifts to the amigos and familia (to name a few of my prizes--your strobe light ball, stress squeezers in hearts and animals, free pens, pedometers, key chain compass, calculator and potential to when a Wii). There was useful information and I am glad they send you the slides because it cuts down on the notes you have to take and unfortunately I have a little problem that has followed me through college on; I tend to sleep in lectures and presentations especially in low lighting. It is like a rare form of narcolepsy. The funny thing is that I pick up tidbits in the midst and can pass off like I know.


In other news, there was a dinner with co-workers who attended the trip--plenty of Sangria and paella to go around. As part of the festivities, there was an interesting activity where we had to give a fun fact about ourselves beforehand and then we each had to guess who it belonged to. You just don't know people. We had someone that swam with piranhas, a wanna-be FBI agent, an interviewee with Barnum and Bailey Circus, a ordained minister that conducted two weddings, a rocker who engaged 2000 people, a beauty queen, dancer who one three talent shows and a music video star.

Only other comment on the conference is the hilarity of the presentations. Every so often you get organized and engaging, but more often than not you get rambling, monotone, and minute lettering. I can critique mercilessly because I am not presenting. How can the skills not have been learned? A message is nothing if it is indecipherable. There are diagrams that look like abstract art and who knows what they represent. "Hello!" there are people in the back who would like to see; if you say we didn't need to read the slide, WHY INCLUDE IT? Ok, enough of my soapbox, I have other things to report.

During my off day and last day in el cuidade Barcelona, I took a trip to Montserrat where there is a Basilica, monk colony, and the Black Madonna. It is an enchanting place and a wonderful place to do a retreat (refer to the slideshow). You go up the mountain by cable or train (I went up by cable and came down by train) providing beautiful Kodak moments. I wanted to film the mass and the monks chanting but unfortunately it was not allowed.

It is quite easy to get around the city and the outskirts by metro and train. The metro in the city comes every 3 min. no matter the line! (What do you think about that D.C. Metro riders?) Entering the city again, I decided to try and see the Guell Park, a public park designed by Antonio Gaudi who is renowned and has strong architectural influence in Barcelona. He is all about the waves.

A must-do suggestion: You must have the crema catalona, which is an orange crème brûlèe, if you come to Barcelona (or find the recipe)--it is divine.

1 comment:

Dr. L. Kat. said...

Gotta love European public transit. They definitely do it right! I agree that the art of public speaking is not well practiced by most people who engage in it. You would think these skills would be taught.